Government should focus on passing the sexual harassment bill: CPIM
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Monday said a special session of Parliament to bring about stringent anti-rape laws would not mean anything till the sexual harrassment bill, passed by Lok Sabha, was adopted by the Upper House.
"We raised this (passage of the bill in Rajya Sabha) in Parliament too as it is held up. It has been passed in the Lok Sabha but yet to be brought to the Rajya Sabha," senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here when his comment was sought on the demand for a special session for the purpose.
"A special session of Parliament in itself does not mean anything. We have certain things to do forthwith. ... The first priority for the government should be to pass the law (sexual harrassment bill) which has been pending, keeping the amendments into account and the government`s views on it," he said.
On setting up of fast-track courts to deal with such crimes, Yechury said there was "no dearth of judges" in the country to man these courts.
"Twenty years ago, the Law Commission had suggested that there should be at least five judges per lakh of population. The current situation is that there are only 1.4 judges per lakh people," the CPI(M) Politburo member said.
"Sufficient police force, especially women police personnel, was also lacking. The United Nations stipulates that there should be 350 police personnel per lakh population," Yechury added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?