Govt announces assistance for family of slain Sikh brothers
New Delhi: Delhi Government today decided to give financial assistance of Rs two lakh each to the families of the two brothers who were among the six persons killed in the recent shooting in a gurudwara in the United States.
The decision to this effect was taken at a cabinet meeting presided by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
"We will give Rs two lakh each to both the families," Dikshit said.
Ranjit Singh and his younger brother Sita Singh had lost their lives when a former US soldier opened fire in the gurudwara in Wisconsin on last Sunday, in a case of hate crime. Families of both Ranjit and Sita live in Chand Nagar area of Vishnu Garden in West Delhi.
Dikshit said Delhi Government will also take care of education of the children of both the families. The victims were the only earning members of their families.
Education Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely, who had visited the families last week, said wives of both Ranjit and Sita Singh will be provided job by Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee.
Ranjit had left for the US 16 years ago when his son was just seven months old and had not visited India since then. His family said he was planning to visit the family this Diwali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi