Govt asked to clear stand on creating separate wings in police

Last Updated: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 15:21

New Delhi: The Centre was on Thursday asked by the Delhi High Court to file its response on the issue of separating maintenance of law and order and carrying out of investigation by the Delhi Police for ensuring better detection of cases.

A bench of Acting Chief Justice BD Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru asked Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Rajeeve Mehra to file an affidavit on the issue within two weeks and posted the matter for August 22.

"The Centre to file an affidavit within two weeks on the issue of separation of law and order from investigation in the Delhi Police," the bench said.

The court`s order came in the wake of a submission by Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan in December 16 gang-rape case that the police have used scientific method for investigation of the case and the probe is in progress.

"Why don`t you apply the scientific method in all other cases. Do you think the law and order situation has improved in the city," the bench asked the police.

The court observed that if the wings are separated, many criminals will not get away and there will be an improvement in the law and order situation in the metropolis.

To this, the public prosecutor said that the issue of separation is in the hands of the Union of India.

The ASG told the court that by next date of hearing, he will make the government`s stand clear.

During the course of arguments, counsel Meera Bhatia, who is assisting the court in the 23-year-old paramedical student`s gang-rape case, said, "On macro level nothing has been done. Law and order in the city is still bad and a lot needs to be done."

She also said that all PCR vans are not fully equipped to meet the situation like the December 16 gang-rape incident. Earlier, the Delhi Police had informed the court that it has taken initiatives to give training to its personnel on gender sensitisation and crime against women and submitted the Police Calendar of 2013 before it showing how it intended to proceed on the exercise.

The high court on December 19, last year had taken suo motu cognisance of the gang-rape of the 23-year-old girl in a moving bus here on December 16.

The bench had decided to monitor the probe by directing the police to carry a "high standard" investigation.

It had also suggested to the police to come out with a system with GPS to track the location of suspected vehicles. It had asked the police to take help from Infosys or TCL for the software.

The high court had asked the state government and health department to issue a directive to hospitals to attend all trauma patients and this was also applicable to private hospitals in the city.

It had said that no hospital can turn down a patient who needs immediate medical attention - especially in rape or accident cases.

The paramedic was gang-raped and brutally assaulted allegedly by six persons on December 16. She had succumbed to her injuries in a Singapore hospital on December 29, sparking a nation-wide outrage.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 15:20

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus