Govt bodies flayed for discrimination at crematorium
New Delhi: The CIC has summoned officials of MCD and DDA for discriminating among sections of society by setting up semi-VIP cremation platforms at the Nigambodh Ghat here.
RTI activist Subhash Chandra Agrawal approached the CIC after both the agencies failed to provide proper plan-map and file-notings on a decision to develop semi-VIP `pyre-blocks` at the capital`s oldest cremation ground.
The Nigambodh Ghat has three categories of cremation platforms -- an elevated VIP `pyre`, three semi-VIP `pyre-blocks` surrounded by iron railings and the ordinary cremation platforms.
The VIP pyre is used for cremating bodies of senior political leaders and renowned people while the semi-VIP pyre is used for cremating people who have been referred by either some politician or bureaucrat.
The CIC asked officials from the MCD and the DDA to be present before it July 5.
It noted that prima facie it appears that the onus of providing the information has been shifted from one agency to another and both of them provided contradictory information.
"It was indeed shameful that the MCD and the DDA became party to discriminating among people on the basis of their status even after their death by developing blocks of semi-VIP pyre, differentiating them from other pyre-blocks by simply surrounding semi-VIP pyre-blocks by iron-railings," said Agrawal.
Agrawal said the authorities concerned should immediately remove the iron railing to abolish the distinction between ordinary and semi-VIP cremation platforms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble