Govt considering setting up panel for fixing Metro
New Delhi: The fares for Delhi Metro trains may be revised in the coming days as the Urban Development ministry is considering constituting a Fare Fixation Committee.
Well placed sources said that in a recent Board meeting of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), the matter of setting up the Fare Fixation Committee was discussed and the ministry of Urban Development was moving in this direction.
The last occasion when fares had been revised by the Delhi Metro following the recommendations of the fare fixation committee was in 2009, when the minimum fare was raised from Rs 6 to Rs 8 and the maximum from Rs 22 to Rs 30, officials said.
Officials said that as per the Delhi Metro Railway (Operation and Maintenance) Act 2002, the central government can from time to time constitute a Fare Fixation Committee which can recommend passenger carriage fares.
As per the Act, the committee should have three members, which would include a person who is or has been a judge of the High Court at the helm. The state government and the central government appoint the other two members.
The committee once constituted would present its recommendations in a period not exceeding three months, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- WhatsApp chat between Hrithik Roshan and his mother will give you fitness goals! View inside
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!