Govt considering setting up panel for fixing Metro
New Delhi: The fares for Delhi Metro trains may be revised in the coming days as the Urban Development ministry is considering constituting a Fare Fixation Committee.
Well placed sources said that in a recent Board meeting of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), the matter of setting up the Fare Fixation Committee was discussed and the ministry of Urban Development was moving in this direction.
The last occasion when fares had been revised by the Delhi Metro following the recommendations of the fare fixation committee was in 2009, when the minimum fare was raised from Rs 6 to Rs 8 and the maximum from Rs 22 to Rs 30, officials said.
Officials said that as per the Delhi Metro Railway (Operation and Maintenance) Act 2002, the central government can from time to time constitute a Fare Fixation Committee which can recommend passenger carriage fares.
As per the Act, the committee should have three members, which would include a person who is or has been a judge of the High Court at the helm. The state government and the central government appoint the other two members.
The committee once constituted would present its recommendations in a period not exceeding three months, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy