‘Govt did not ask Backward Class for sub-quota`
New Delhi: BJP on Friday said the government had
not consulted the Backward Class Commission before arriving at
its decision to give 4.5 per cent reservation to minorities
from the OBC quota and alleged the measure was a part of UPA`s
attempt to play vote bank politics.
BJP national secretary Bhupendra Yadav maintained that
even in the "discredited" Ranganath Commission report, 55
Muslim communities are part of the Central list for OBCs.
"Attempt of the government to bifurcate the Backward
Class reservation on religious basis is unconstitutional and
against the object of social justice," Yadav said.
He said government had till now given no justification as
to why it took the 4.5 per cent sub-quota within the 27 per
cent quota decision for minorities where no such
recommendation had been made by the Backward Class Commission.
"Backward Class reservation is based on the criteria
of social and educational backwardness. In case, groups of
backward class citizens are similarly placed, there cannot be
any basis of special reservation for groups merely because
they belong to a certain religion," the BJP leader said.
The BJP maintained that recently some more groups have
been added by the Backward Class Commission to the list of
Socially and Educationally Backward Classes and there was
"discrimination" on religion basis in this exercise.
"It is, therefore, apparent that the creation of 4.5 per
cent subgroup is the result of vote bank politics in the light
of Uttar Pradesh elections. The government has utterly failed
to achieve the objects of social justice enshrined in our
Constitution," Yadav said.
He said "unfortunately" BSP and SP are silent on the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'