Govt fully with Chidambaram: Salman Khurshid
New Delhi: Asserting that the government was
with Home Minister P Chidambaram on the 2G issue, Law Minister
Salman Khurshid on Friday dismissed controversy over a Finance
Ministry note sent to the PMO saying it was not written by
Pranab Mukherjee but by a junior officer.
"Not only we are behind the Home Minister, we are all
together united on the issue," Khurshid said when asked if the
Government was backing the Home Minister who is facing
allegations on the issue.
"We are saying that we don`t believe that Chidambaram in
remotest of ways should be questioned for policy decisions
that were taken at that time," he said.
On the Finance Ministry note, Khurshid said, "I am not
willing to believe that this was done by Pranab Mukherjee.
Inferences are unwarranted and it is unfair to jump to
conclusions... but I am sure that he has not even remotely put
a question-mark over his predecessor."
He said the Finance Minister would not have endorsed the
the note and such an important matter has to go through the
Finance Secretary and not from a junior official to another.
Asked to react on a letter written by Minister of State
Ashwani Kumar to the Prime Minister, he said the people have
minds of their own and have opinions on decisions taken by the
Cabinet and it cannot be construed as "confrontation and
In the letter, Kumar has reportedly said that the
Government reputation was damaged by zero-loss claim of Kapil
Sibal in 2G scam.
Asked who was to be ultimately blamed for the whole
issue, the Law Minister said at an "appropriate stage", all
these questions would be answered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof