‘Govt has shown maturity in defusing tensions alon
New Delhi: Speaking at a "Young Changemakers Conclave" organised in collaboration with the United Nations Information Centre for India here on Monday, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah praised the Central Government for defusing tensions along the Line of Control (LoC) with Pakistan following the killing and mutilation of two Indian soldiers on January 8.
"You cannot expect India to ignore what was done to its soldiers on the LoC in Jammu. There has been a bit of tension (on the LoC), justifiably so (as) nobody joins the Army of any country to be beheaded. They join the Army to defend the country (and) there is a dignity even in soldering. You cannot expect India to ignore what was done to its soldiers on the LoC in Jammu," Abdullah said.
"That having being said, the response (of India) has been mature and the two Directors General of Military Operation have talked... The tension on the LoC has reduced and its a good sign," he said while answering questions from the audience," he added.
"I believe the leadership that we have in India today is far more mature than to do something silly as to go to war because of this incident," he said in reply to a question from a youngster.
He also said he could only encourage migrant Kashmiri Pandits to return to Jammu and Kashmir and that they had to decide the timing of their return to their homeland after being out of it for the past 22 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority