Govt justifies keeping Delhi House under suspended animation
New Delhi: Government on Friday justified its decision to keep the Delhi Assembly under suspended animation saying all options are open as more than four years and ten months of Assembly still remain after AAP government`s fall.
Minister of State for Home RPN Singh said this in the Rajya Sabha as he laid the supplementary demand for grants, 2013-14 and Vote on Account for 2014-15 for Delhi.
BJP, however, launched a blistering attack on Congress for not dissolving the Assembly even after bringing the state under President Rule and for supporting Arvind Kejriwal to form a government.
Citing the famous judgement of SR Bommai case, Singh said the Delhi Assembly was not dissolved as demanded by Arvind Kejriwal`s party as the government fell after 60 days and options for formation of any alternative government are open.
Noting that the government formed by Kejriwal fell after just 60 days, Singh wondered should fresh elections be ordered after just 60 days after poll in any state.
"All options are open for this. You have have also formed governments in past. Minority governments have been formed in the country many times. You have also formed," the minister said adding that the government does not want unnecessary burden of fresh elections on people in such a short time.
BJP leader M Venakaiah Naidu, however, apprehended that such a scenario could encourage horse trading. He wondered that when the BJP has already refused to form a government and AAP has stepped down, how could a government be formed even when Congress has only eight MLAs.
Soon after Singh tabled the Delhi budget, Dharmendra Pradhan (BJP) said President`s Rule was imposed in Delhi and the Supplementary demands for Grants is being tabled in the House only because Congress propped a government which did not have majority.
"It is your handiwork. When elections happened in Delhi, nobody got a mandate. People of Delhi voted out Congress, which was ruling the state for last fifteen years, did not give majority to any party and BJP emerged as single largest party.
We chose to sit in Opposition. We did not act in an opportunistic manner.
"Congress befriended a party with half mandate because of the fear of BJP and Narendra Modi. Because they (Congress) were scared after losing ground in four states, they supported an unconventional party to form government...We condemn the opportunistic politics of the Congress," he said even as he supported the Demands for Grants for Delhi to avert a Constitutional crisis.
His colleague and senior BJP leader Chandan Mitra asked why the central government does not hold elections for Delhi Assembly along with Lok Sabha polls.
Vasanthi Stanley (DMK) said Supreme Court`s decision in Bommai case is very important for the federal structure of the country because the central government had imposed President`s Rule in many states before that decision and DMK`s governments were also dismissed twice.
She, however, said the minister was referring to Bommai case in an altogether different context.
The Supreme Court, had in its judgement in Bommai vs Union of India case delivered in March 1994, sharply limited the constitutional power vested in the Central government to dismiss a state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks