‘Govt moves to restrict caffeine in health drinks’
New Delhi: The government on Friday informed Lok Sabha that quantity of caffeine in energy drinks cannot be regulated till about a year by when a notification is likely to be issued.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad during Question Hour said, At present there is no prescribed limit for energy drinks though rules for regulating the quantity of caffeine in carbonated drinks (soft drinks) are there.
Under the Food Safety and Standards Regulations, 2011, use of caffeine must not exceed the permitted 145 mg per litre in carbonated water.
In reply to supplementaries, Azad termed the process of issuing notification as cumbersome" and added that it will take a "minimum" of one year before issuing the executive order for regulating the quantity of caffeine in energy drinks.
He informed that an expert committee formed in January, 2010 have been looking into the issue, which made recommendations to a scientific committee comprising 14 scientists since August that year.
he informed that scientific committee might go through the suggestions before making recommendations to the government. He further noted that enforcement of the Food Safety and Standards Act and the Regulations is with the state government and so far no report has been received with regard to non-adherence to the level of caffeine in carbonated water.
He said that government cannot take steps to check the level of caffeine in energy drinks without notification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader