`Govt on toes to ensure harshest punishment for Delhi gang-rape victim accused`
New Delhi: Union Minister of State for Home RPN Singh on Saturday offered his condolences to the Delhi gang-rape victim’s family, saying that the government will be on its toes to frame stricter laws against such crimes.
The Delhi gang-rape victim, whose assault in the national capital triggered nationwide protests, died in a Singapore hospital on Saturday of injuries suffered to her brain from the cardiac arrest she suffered at the Safdarjung Hospital on Tuesday night.
“In this hour of grief for India, I express my deepest condolences to the bereaved family. I am heartbroken because of the kind of struggle she put up to survive. I can only assure the family that the government will take whatever steps needed to ensure that her killers get the harshest punishment in the quickest of time.”
“The government will work overtime, to try and bring about laws and steps that will ensure that no other person and no other citizen of this country has to go through or undergoes the same kind of trauma,” Singh said.
Thousands of students and people from other walks of life have been protesting daily, compelling the government to urgently address the need for new laws to protect women as well as stiffer penalties for worst sex crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read