`Govt on toes to ensure harshest punishment for Delhi gang-rape victim accused`
New Delhi: Union Minister of State for Home RPN Singh on Saturday offered his condolences to the Delhi gang-rape victim’s family, saying that the government will be on its toes to frame stricter laws against such crimes.
The Delhi gang-rape victim, whose assault in the national capital triggered nationwide protests, died in a Singapore hospital on Saturday of injuries suffered to her brain from the cardiac arrest she suffered at the Safdarjung Hospital on Tuesday night.
“In this hour of grief for India, I express my deepest condolences to the bereaved family. I am heartbroken because of the kind of struggle she put up to survive. I can only assure the family that the government will take whatever steps needed to ensure that her killers get the harshest punishment in the quickest of time.”
“The government will work overtime, to try and bring about laws and steps that will ensure that no other person and no other citizen of this country has to go through or undergoes the same kind of trauma,” Singh said.
Thousands of students and people from other walks of life have been protesting daily, compelling the government to urgently address the need for new laws to protect women as well as stiffer penalties for worst sex crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown