Govt proposes further amendments to Consumer Protection Act
New Delhi: On the eve of World Consumer
Rights Day, the government Sunday said it will soon propose
amendments to the Consumer Protection Act in Parliament, aimed
at speedy disposal of a large number of consumer cases.
"We are in the process of bringing about further
amendments to the Act. We hope to finalise the draft and
introduce the bill at the earliest (in Parliament)," Minister
of State for Consumer Affairs K V Thomas said at the inaugural
function of the World Consumers Rights Day.
The Consumer Protection Act, which provides for the
better protection of consumers, has been amended thrice --in
1991, 1993 and 2002-- he said.
The minister said: "The amendments proposed would widen
the scope of the Act, facilitate quicker disposal of cases and
rationalise the qualifications of the consumer forum at the
state level and the members at the national level."
Thomas mentioned that consumers often express `inordinate
delay` in disposing cases despite satisfactory performance of
"Over 33 lakh cases have been filed so far. Out of these,
almost 89 per cent stand disposed. However, in spite of the
satisfactory performance of consumer fora, a grievance which
is commonly expressed is inordinate delay in the disposal of
cases," he said, adding that swift clearance of cases remains
a priority for action.
On the World Consumer Rights Day, the minister spoke of
raising awareness of consumer rights and ensure goods/services
are available to them fee from hazards and exploitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened