Govt running away from Batla House probe: Shahid Siddiqui
New Delhi: With a Delhi Court all set to pronounce its final verdict in the five-year-old Batla House encounter case, former Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Shahid Siddiqui on Thursday demanded a thorough inquiry into this controversial episode, saying it is in the interest of everybody.
Siddiqui said doubts have been raised from the very first day on whether the Batla House encounter was a genuine one or not.
"I believe that the Government of India should have appointed an independent inquiry commission to go into it so that all the doubts could be laid to rest, but since the government has refused to do that the doubts remain whatever the judgement the doubts will remain. And therefore, I believe that it`s not a question of doing justice. It`s also being seen that justice has been done and that is not happening," said Siddiqui.
"I don`t know why the Central Government is running away from inquiry. Even when a leader of the Congress Party Digvijay Singh has raised doubts about the genuineness of the encounter, the Government of India should not run away from an inquiry. Still there is time, it should be done. I think it is in the interest of everybody," he added.
A Delhi court will decide today on whether Shahzad Ahmad, a young man from Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh, opened fire at a police team to kill Delhi Police Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma in what is called the Batla House encounter, five years ago.
The police allege that Shahzad is an Indian Mujahideen operative, and one of four men responsible for serial blasts in Delhi in 2008.
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh had described the encounter as fake, but his party later distanced itself from his remarks.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram, who was then the country`s Home Minister, ruled out reopening the case which resulted in the killing of Indian Mujahideen commander Atif Ameen, and asserted that the encounter was genuine.
The shootout between the special cell team and the alleged IM terrorists in Batla House locality in Jamia Nagar, Delhi, took place six days after serial blasts hit the national capital on September 13, 2008, leaving 30 dead and over 100 injured.
Acting on a tip-off regarding some terrorists involved in the blasts, the police team led by Inspector Sharma went to Batla House on September 19. Sharma was killed during the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM