Govt starts work on 14 new BRT corridors
New Delhi: Notwithstanding opposition to the existing bus rapid transport stretch, Delhi government on Tuesday decided to start ground work on construction of 14 new BRT corridors across the city.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was given a presentation on the proposed corridors following which Public Works Department and Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System (DIMMTS) were told to prepare feasibility report for the ambitious project.
The existing BRT corridor between Ambedkar Nagar and Delhi Gate was constructed by DIMMTS, a joint venture company jointly set up by Delhi Government and Infrastructure Development Finance Corporation.
Chief Secretary PK Tripathi, who was present in the meeting, said PWD and DIMMTS will prepare the feasibility studies for the proposed BRT corridors.
Following a court case and controversy related to the Ambedkar Nagar-Delhi Gate BRT corridor, the construction of 14 such corridors was put on hold but now government has decided to work on it.
Some of the proposed BRTs are in East Delhi while some others have been planned for West and North Delhi.
"We want to construct more BRTs to improve the mass transport system in the city," said a senior official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you