Govt starts work on 14 new BRT corridors
New Delhi: Notwithstanding opposition to the existing bus rapid transport stretch, Delhi government on Tuesday decided to start ground work on construction of 14 new BRT corridors across the city.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was given a presentation on the proposed corridors following which Public Works Department and Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System (DIMMTS) were told to prepare feasibility report for the ambitious project.
The existing BRT corridor between Ambedkar Nagar and Delhi Gate was constructed by DIMMTS, a joint venture company jointly set up by Delhi Government and Infrastructure Development Finance Corporation.
Chief Secretary PK Tripathi, who was present in the meeting, said PWD and DIMMTS will prepare the feasibility studies for the proposed BRT corridors.
Following a court case and controversy related to the Ambedkar Nagar-Delhi Gate BRT corridor, the construction of 14 such corridors was put on hold but now government has decided to work on it.
Some of the proposed BRTs are in East Delhi while some others have been planned for West and North Delhi.
"We want to construct more BRTs to improve the mass transport system in the city," said a senior official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- West Indies vs India, 1st Test: 5-star Ashwin dominates hosts on Day 4
- Televangelist Zakir Naik's aides make startling revelations, it will shock you -- Read
- Govt begins search for Bankruptcy Board chief
- BSF - Pakistan Rangers talks this week in Lahore
- LIVE STREAMING: West Indies vs India, 1st Test, Day 4