Govt takes steps for accountability in Indira Awas Yojana
New Delhi: Government is all set to make its public housing programme for rural poor more accountable at panchayat level with new draft guidelines suggesting "proactive" disclosure of details of beneficiaries and making social audit of the scheme a must.
The draft guidelines issued by the Rural Development Ministry say that the implementation of Indira Awas Yojana (IAY) should be informed to the local people through wall paintings or notice boards at the village panchayat level or by proactively giving details to all organisations of self help groups under National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM).
The details should include the names and addresses of the beneficiaries selected, the norms used for selection, money each family is eligible and the amount dispensed and date of completion of the house.
The draft says no contractor should be involved in the construction of houses under the programme and the house is to be constructed by the beneficiary himself/herself.
Government has allocated Rs 15,184 crore in the budget for the scheme. Last year, it was Rs 11,075 crore.
It says that there should be a concurrent independent monitoring using Community Resource Persons, representatives of civil society organisations and students from higher secondary schools and colleges and photographs of every beneficiary should be taken in the front of existing house as well as in front of the new IAY house after construction.
As soon as house is constructed, the IAY logo should be embedded in the house indicating the month and year of start and completion of construction, amount spent and name of the beneficiary.
It says that information about beneficiaries and implementing officer at the block level with all the records of implementation of the scheme should be part of Social Audit process.
Construction of toilets under Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan (NBA) is mandatory and potable drinking water should be provided to all IAY households. It also says that electrification should be provided under Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana or state schemes and in areas where there is no electricity, solar lights should be provided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation