Govt to bring Ordinance to halt sealing, demolition in Delhi
New Delhi: Commercial establishments
operating illegally in farm houses and other places in nearly
400 rural areas and urbanised villages of Delhi are expected
to get a reprieve soon as the government is planning to bring
an Ordinance to freeze sealing and demolition for a year.
Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) had restarted the
sealing and demolition drive in the capital after the earlier
Ordinance expired on December 31 last.
"A Cabinet note proposing the Ordinance to extend the
Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Act, 2009 has been sent to
ministries concerned seeking their comments on the issue.
After receipt of their inputs, the note will be sent to the
Cabinet for its approval," a senior Urban Development Ministry
official said to a news agency.
The applicability of the Act was only till December 31,
The Ordinance aims at providing protection to various
categories of unauthorised constructions for which no policy
decision has been taken, the official said.
The Ordinance will be converted into an Act after its
introduction and passge in the Budget session of Parliament.
The 2009 Act, whose applicability was till December 31,
last year, provided immunity from sealing and demolition to
high-end showrooms in villages, farm houses and affluent
colonies across the capital.
This includes shops located on Kalka Dass Marg in
Mehrauli, high-end designer furniture showrooms on Mehrauli-
Gurgaon Road, Shah Pur Jat, Hauz Khas Village and other rural
and urbanised villages.
The Urban Development Ministry failed to bring in a Bill
in the Winter Session of Parliament to extend the moratorium
because of pandemonium over 2G spectrum scam.
There are around 200 rural villages and 180-odd
urbanised villages, where commercial activities are being
carried out. Designer hubs and boutiques in areas such as
Shahpur Jat, Mehrauli, Munirka Gaon, Hauz Khas, Katwaria
Sarai, Yusuf Sarai among others are facing sealings due to the
expiry of the Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22