Govt told media to underplay Lokpal stir at Jantar-Mantar: Bedi
Pune: Prominent Team Anna member Kiran Bedi on Friday alleged that the media was instructed by the UPA government to "underplay" the ongoing agitation of the movement for a strong Lokpal and action against central ministers accused of corruption.
"There is a letter in writing from the government instructing media to underplay our agitation at Jantar Mantar as it is seen as a threat to its survival," she told reporters.
Bedi refuted the suggestion that the Anna Hazare movement was losing its direction with the focus shifting from Lokpal to ministerial corruption and said, "These are not two separate issues."
The government was opposing the Janalokpal Bill because if its enacted its cabinet ministers would be under investigation threatening their survival, she said adding that "we have not created any evidence against the ministers which has come from statutory bodies like CAG."
On the controversial meeting of Hazare with Union law minister Salman Khurshid near Pune last month, she said, "It was Khurshid who came to meet Anna for discussion."
Asked as to why the team members was not informed about the meeting, Bedi said Anna was not a "subservient leader".
In reply to a question she maintained that the Anna movement was "apolitical", adding that the team members were not hankering after any position of power.
Instead of becoming "just one vote in Parliament (becoming MP)", the team would like to be part of the national movement continuing the mission of awakening the masses against corruption, she added.
Bedi said the crowd was enough at Jantar Mantar, adding that "Jantar Mantar is not Ramlila Maidan".
"Even those who are not physically present, their heart with Anna and the movement," she felt.
Asked as to why she was in Pune when Team Anna agitation was continuing in Delhi, Bedi said she had a prior commitment of delivering lecture in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday