Govt wants Master Plan relaxed to prevent closure of schools
New Delhi: The Delhi Government has sought relaxation of norms for land use in the Delhi Master Plan 2021 to facilitate setting up of more schools and avoid closure of educational institutions currently running in various areas.
Delhi Education Minister Kiran Walia said the Delhi Development Authority needs to relax land use norms so that more schools can be set up in the city.
Appropriate amendment was required in the Master Plan 2021 so that Government can allow existing unrecognised schools to continue functioning as per provisions of the Right To Education Act 2009.
These unrecognised schools will have to be closed down with effect from April 01, 2013 if required changes are not made, she said.
Following implementation of the RTE Act, 2009, it has become necessary to review the land use norms in respect of primary and elementary schools so that maximum numbers of school can be recognised, the minister said.
Walia said Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has already taken up the matter with Union Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath and Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna.
As per current norms, the schools need to conform to certain minimum requirement like infrastructural facilities. However considering the ground reality of Delhi it may not be possible for unrecognised schools to fulfil the land norms provided in the Master Plan 2021, she said.
Since neighbourhood schools are charging nominal fee and catering to the educational needs of thousands of children, it becomes imminent to consider an amendment in MPD 2021, she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?