Govt wants Master Plan relaxed to prevent closure of schools
New Delhi: The Delhi Government has sought relaxation of norms for land use in the Delhi Master Plan 2021 to facilitate setting up of more schools and avoid closure of educational institutions currently running in various areas.
Delhi Education Minister Kiran Walia said the Delhi Development Authority needs to relax land use norms so that more schools can be set up in the city.
Appropriate amendment was required in the Master Plan 2021 so that Government can allow existing unrecognised schools to continue functioning as per provisions of the Right To Education Act 2009.
These unrecognised schools will have to be closed down with effect from April 01, 2013 if required changes are not made, she said.
Following implementation of the RTE Act, 2009, it has become necessary to review the land use norms in respect of primary and elementary schools so that maximum numbers of school can be recognised, the minister said.
Walia said Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has already taken up the matter with Union Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath and Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna.
As per current norms, the schools need to conform to certain minimum requirement like infrastructural facilities. However considering the ground reality of Delhi it may not be possible for unrecognised schools to fulfil the land norms provided in the Master Plan 2021, she said.
Since neighbourhood schools are charging nominal fee and catering to the educational needs of thousands of children, it becomes imminent to consider an amendment in MPD 2021, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical