Greenpeace probe says radiation risk in Mayapuri
New Delhi: An investigation by environment body Greenpeace has revealed immediate radiation risk to people at a scrapyard in west Delhi`s Mayapuri area where a person died after exposure to radiation last month.
"The investigation has identified hotspots more than 5,000 times natural background radiation," an expert said after a Greenpeace team visited Mayapuri Friday morning.
The government had earlier given a clean chit to the scrap yard.
Greenpeace has shared the information with local residents and the concerned authorities.
Police had said the source of the leak last month was a radioactive gamma cell containing Cobalt 60 that was auctioned as scrap by Delhi University`s chemistry department two months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed