Greenpeace probe says radiation risk in Mayapuri
New Delhi: An investigation by environment body Greenpeace has revealed immediate radiation risk to people at a scrapyard in west Delhi`s Mayapuri area where a person died after exposure to radiation last month.
"The investigation has identified hotspots more than 5,000 times natural background radiation," an expert said after a Greenpeace team visited Mayapuri Friday morning.
The government had earlier given a clean chit to the scrap yard.
Greenpeace has shared the information with local residents and the concerned authorities.
Police had said the source of the leak last month was a radioactive gamma cell containing Cobalt 60 that was auctioned as scrap by Delhi University`s chemistry department two months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam