Grid collapse: CM pitches for `islanding facility`
New Delhi: In the wake of last week`s grid failure that affected normal life in Delhi, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday pushed for setting up an `islanding facility` for the nation capital to insulate essential services from any disruption in power supply.
Addressing a meeting of chief ministers of northern states chaired by Union Power Minister Veerappa Moily, Dikshit said `islanding facility` was necessary to protect the city from any failure of the grid.
If islanding facility is set up, then Delhi, in case of technical problem in the Northern Grid, will be able to draw power directly from selected power generating stations by cutting its transmission network with the grid.
Dikshit said Delhi can adopt the model of South Mumbai where the islanding facility has been in operation.
Officials in Delhi Power Department said the city currently has a generation capacity of around 1200 MW and once the 1,500 MW capacity Bawana power plant starts functioning at its optimum level, the city can easily put in place islanding facility.
Last week`s grid failure had severely affected the city for two consecutive days.
In her address, Dikshit also requested the Union Power Minister to put in place a proper mechanism so that no state can overdraw power.
Delhi Government had blamed Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan for overdrawing power saying it led to collapse of the Northern Grid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA