Grid collapse: CM pitches for `islanding facility`
New Delhi: In the wake of last week`s grid failure that affected normal life in Delhi, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday pushed for setting up an `islanding facility` for the nation capital to insulate essential services from any disruption in power supply.
Addressing a meeting of chief ministers of northern states chaired by Union Power Minister Veerappa Moily, Dikshit said `islanding facility` was necessary to protect the city from any failure of the grid.
If islanding facility is set up, then Delhi, in case of technical problem in the Northern Grid, will be able to draw power directly from selected power generating stations by cutting its transmission network with the grid.
Dikshit said Delhi can adopt the model of South Mumbai where the islanding facility has been in operation.
Officials in Delhi Power Department said the city currently has a generation capacity of around 1200 MW and once the 1,500 MW capacity Bawana power plant starts functioning at its optimum level, the city can easily put in place islanding facility.
Last week`s grid failure had severely affected the city for two consecutive days.
In her address, Dikshit also requested the Union Power Minister to put in place a proper mechanism so that no state can overdraw power.
Delhi Government had blamed Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan for overdrawing power saying it led to collapse of the Northern Grid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre