Grief-stricken parents of gang-rape accused lock themselves
Aurangabad (Bihar): Saryug Singh, father of Delhi gang-rape accused Akshay Thakur, has locked himself in his house along with his wife with securitymen deputed outside saying they hear frequent wails from inside since the victim`s death.
Thakur, one of the six accused, was arrested by a joint team of Delhi and Bihar police from his house in Lahankarma.
Loud cries keep coming from inside the house, Raju Kumar Paswan, who has been deputed at Thakur`s house for security since last evening fearing angry backlash over the death of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim, told PTI.
"My head hangs in shame," Singh was quoted as saying by Paswan.
"If he is guilty, God will punish him," he said referring to his son Akshay
Akshay, son of a marginal farmer, studied in government school at Tandwa till matriculation before leaving for Chhattisgarh to work in some brew factory. He had landed in Delhi a year ago.
Babloo Pandey, a neighbour, said the entire village is seething with anger and remorse. Over involvement of one of the natives of the village in the barbaric incident.
"We demand death sentence for the culprits for such animal like act," Pandey said.
Pandey, himself a farmer and whose piece of land is near that of Saryug Singh, said that Singh appeared "lost" most of the times.
"He (Saryug Singh) is not being able to concentrate on farming. Many a time cattle graze his field in front of him but he does nothing to chase them away from damaging crops...He is lost most of the time," Pandey said.
Ajay Kumar, Officer in-Charge of Tandwa police station said two chowkidars have been deputed at Thakur`s house since last evening.
Safalta Singh and Priti Kumari of neighbouring Dhamini village demanded death sentence for Thakur and other five accused in the gang-rape case.
Meanwhile, different students organisations observed bandh in the Nabinagar, block headquarter under which Lahankarma village is located about 125 km from Patna, over the death of the girl.
Widespread protests were witnessed in Patna too.
Expressing sorrow over the death of the girl, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar cancelled his trip to Rajgir mahotsav at famous tourist spot in his native Nalanda district yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared