Guidelines issued to Tihar jail on mentally ill prisoners
New Delhi: The Delhi government on Wednesday told the
Delhi High Court that it has issued guidelines to the Tihar
Jail authorities to deal with the mentally ill prisoners who
have been languishing in jail and more prone to suicide.
The government`s Standing Counsel Najmi Waziri told a
division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv
Khanna that the senior officers of Tihar jail held a meeting
with the experts from Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied
Services (IHBAS) on March 7 and the guidelines were prepared.
According to the proposed guidelines, the jail
authorities should act promptly and refer the prisoners to
IHBAS for treatment soon after he/she was found homicidal
behaviour or the tendency to commit suicide.
All prisoners with common mental disorder, anxiety
disorder, suffering from depression, problems of drug abuse
and also the Tihar inmates with issues of repeated deliberate
self-harm, self-injuries behaviour should be assessed by the
mental health unit of the central jail and they should be
immediately referred to IHBAS for evaluation and treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch