Gutka products banned in Delhi
New Delhi: Delhi Government on Monday decided to enforce a blanket ban on manufacturing, sale, storage and display of all gutka products in the city.
The ban will also be imposed on pan masalas and similar products containing nicotine and tobacco.
Delhi Health Minister AK Walia said government is likely to issue a notification to the effect tomorrow to enforce the ban.
"We have decided to enforce a complete ban on sale, manufacturing, storage, display and transportation of all gutka products in the city," said a top official. He said government has taken the decision as gutka products are a health hazard and cause oral and lung cancer.
The file pertaining to imposition of ban on gutka products was cleared by Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna last week.
A number of states including Maharashtra, Rajasthan Kerala, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar have already announced ban on gutka products. A similar comprehensive ban came into effect in Gujarat today.
"The formal decision to enforce the ban was taken at a high level meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit," said the official.
He said ban will be implemented by Prevention of Food Adulteration department and strict action will be taken against the offenders as per provision of Food Safety and Standards Act.
The stringent Act, which was enforced in Delhi in August last year, provides for maximum punishment of life imprisonment and a penalty of up to Rs 10 lakh for those involved in such illegal activities.
Finance Department officials said government may incur an annual revenue loss of around Rs 40 crore due to the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp