Gutka products banned in Delhi
New Delhi: Delhi Government on Monday decided to enforce a blanket ban on manufacturing, sale, storage and display of all gutka products in the city.
The ban will also be imposed on pan masalas and similar products containing nicotine and tobacco.
Delhi Health Minister AK Walia said government is likely to issue a notification to the effect tomorrow to enforce the ban.
"We have decided to enforce a complete ban on sale, manufacturing, storage, display and transportation of all gutka products in the city," said a top official. He said government has taken the decision as gutka products are a health hazard and cause oral and lung cancer.
The file pertaining to imposition of ban on gutka products was cleared by Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna last week.
A number of states including Maharashtra, Rajasthan Kerala, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar have already announced ban on gutka products. A similar comprehensive ban came into effect in Gujarat today.
"The formal decision to enforce the ban was taken at a high level meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit," said the official.
He said ban will be implemented by Prevention of Food Adulteration department and strict action will be taken against the offenders as per provision of Food Safety and Standards Act.
The stringent Act, which was enforced in Delhi in August last year, provides for maximum punishment of life imprisonment and a penalty of up to Rs 10 lakh for those involved in such illegal activities.
Finance Department officials said government may incur an annual revenue loss of around Rs 40 crore due to the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened