Happy Diwali? 9 out of 10 of Delhi`s sweet shops unhygienic
New Delhi: Look closely at the pack of sweets you may have bought from a shop in the capital. Chances are the sweets were made in unhygienic conditions in a shop without proper water and drainage connections, a senior official said.
"Only 10 percent of Delhi`s shops which are selling sweets and confectionery have the required health trade licence," V.K. Monga, Municipal Corporation of Delhi`s (MCD) health committee chairman told a new agency on Thursday.
To get a health trade licence, a shop must have a proper sewer and a Delhi Jal Board (DJB) water connection. The place should be hygienic and the shop should abide by the master plan approved by the MCD.
"In every street in Delhi, there are at least three to five unlicensed shops," Monga said.
"Even if we prosecute such shops, the court lets them go by asking them to pay a small penalty. Whenever we ask them to complete the documentation, they never turn up. Many such shops have mushroomed in the city," he said.
He also specified that Shahdara area of the city alone has 125 such shops.
The quality of sweets at these shops is suspect, and it`s better to avoid them, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared