Happy that gender bias has come down: Dikshit
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit today expressed happiness that gender bias has come
down in India, opening up more opportunities for girls and
bringing about a sea change in their lives.
"When I was studying in the university, the ratio of
men to women there was almost 20:1 but now it is 1:20. India`s
gender bias is not as much as it was earlier," Dikshit said.
Dikshit, the first woman chief minister of Delhi, was
upbeat over the fact that girls today are at the "forefront"
of every field.
"Girls are literally in the forefront now, which is an
indication of not only the opportunities that they get but an
indicator of a sea change in India," she said addressing the
sixth convocation of the `Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha
University,` where she also awarded meritorious students.
Speaking about the evolution of the University
established 11 years back, she hoped this convocation would be
the last in its present campus as it shifts base to Dwarka.
IP University has set up a new campus and Dikshit said
the buildings used by the institution now would be used by
three other Universities established by the government.
Vice Chancellor D K Bandhyopadhyay said the University
had an enrolment of over 50,000 students and the placements
had this year gone up to over 80 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- After China warns India, Baloch and Sindhi leaders hail PM Narendra Modi outside Chinese embassy – Watch
- After Anil Vij, Vijay Goel announces support for Dera Sacha's sports village in Haryana
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai conferred with Khel Ratna award
- Attention cinema lovers, Will Smith was a guest at Akshay Kumar's success party! – See pics
- Six scientists end year-long Mars mission