Harsh Vardhan files nomination papers from Chandni Chowk
New Delhi: BJP`s Delhi unit president Harsh Vardhan Friday filed his nomination papers from Chandni Chowk parliamentary constituency, and will take on Union Minister and Congress leader Kapil Sibal.
"I`m very happy to contest elections from the locality where I have done my pre-medical schooling. My childhood friends and relatives also reside here. I`m confident of winning from Chandni Chowk," Vardhan said after filing his papers.
The Delhi BJP chief said if elected he would develop the area which is a "holy place" as Delhi Assembly, historical Red Fort, Jama Masjid are located here, ensuring that he would treat all the problems plaguing the people of Chandni Chowk "like a doctor".
"BJP is going to win all seven seats of Lok Sabha in the capital. The people of this country will definitely make Narendra Modi the prime minister," he added.
Before his nomination, Harsh Vardhan along with his supporters visited different areas in Chandni Chowk.
Vardhan, 59, had entered the political fray in 1993 when he successfully contested the Delhi Assembly polls from Krishna Nagar constituency in East Delhi in 1993. He went on to retain the seat in the 1998, 2003 and 2008 Assembly elections. He was also the BJP`s chief ministerial candidate for 2013 Assembly elections.
Fondly called "Doctor Saab" by supporters and opponents alike, Vardhan is known for his efforts in eradicating polio in Delhi when he was the Health Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal