Hasan Ali leads the list of top ten tax defaulters
New Delhi: Stud farm owner Hasan Ali Khan
leads the list of top ten income tax defaulters in financial
year 2008-09 in the country, who together owe more than Rs
80,000 crores in taxes, the government said in Parliament
The businessman owes Rs 50,345.73 crore in taxes for
Income Tax assessment year 2009-10. He and his associates will
now have to pay the government Rs 89,000 crore, including the
penalties, according to the details furnished by government in
the Lok Sabha.
Accused of stashing away USD eight billion of unaccounted
money in foreign banks, Pune-based Khan is being investigated
by the Enforcement Directorate for money laundering.
Khan, his associate Kashinath Tapuriah and eight others
have been named in the "top ten individual defaulters" for
Income Tax assessment year 2009-10, the government said today.
Tapuriah owes government Rs 602.80 crore in taxes.
Late Harshad Mehta (12,719.14 cr), A D Narrotam (Rs
5,781.86 cr), Hiten P Dalal (Rs 4,200.04 cr), Jyoti H Mehta
(Rs 1,739.57 cr), Ashwin S Mehta (Rs 1,595.51 cr), B C Dalal
(1,535.89 cr), S Ramaswamy (Rs 1,122.48 cr) and Uday M Acharya
(Rs 683.22 cr) are also mentioned in the list.
"Under the Income Tax Law, there are different categories
of assessees, including individuals. No data is centrally
maintained in the Ministry regarding tax-evasion assessee
wise," Minister of State for Finance S S Palanimanickam said
in a written reply to Lok Sabha. "There are different categories of assesses within the
scheme of the Income Tax Act, 1961, based upon their status.
In this ministry, no data pertaining to a particular category
of defaulters is maintained. Though corresponding action is
taken at the field level in all such cases to collect
government dues," the minister added.
The I-T department had also raised a tax demand of Rs 49
crore against Khan`s wife Rheema Hasan Ali Khan, and Rs 20,540
crore against Tapuriah`s wife Chandrika and Rs 336 crore
against a business firm related to Khan and Tapuriah-- R
M Investment and Trading Company Private Limited.
While the other names in the list, made official by
government today, are more or less the same as the lists of
the preceding assessment years of 2008-09, 2007-08 and
2006-07, Khan and Tapuriah were mentioned in 2008-09 list when
their incomes were assessed for the first time by the Income
The minister also said the total number of individual
return filers in year 2009-10 were 2.76 crore, while in year
2008-09 and year 2007-08, it stood at 2.27 crore and 1.48
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Vijay Mallya deliberately concealing his assets, banks to SC
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Kriti Sanon went for a Thailand vacation? Here's the truth!
- Bulandshahr rape: SC pulls up UP Govt, Azam Khan over controversial remark - Details inside
- Scorpene data leak 'a matter of serious concern', asked DCNS for urgent probe: Navy Chief Sunil Lanba
- Forget Freedom 251, here comes another smartphone at Rs 501