HC allows rape victim to abort, asks AIIMS to preserve foetus
New Delhi: A woman, who had alleged that she was raped and had consequently conceived, was allowed to abort the baby by the Delhi High Court which termed it as "extremely traumatic" and asked AIIMS to preserve the foetus for conducting DNA test.
"To carry a child in her womb by a woman as a result of conception through an act of rape is extremely traumatic, humiliating and psychologically devastating," Justice SP Garg said, while allowing the plea of the 22-year-old woman seeking permission to terminate the forced pregnancy.
The woman lodged an FIR against one Kapil alleging that he had established physical relations with her on the false promise of marriage. He had also concealed the fact that he was a married man, the woman had alleged.
Allowing her plea, the court said, "X (the victim) hails from the poor strata of the society and is likely to face innumerable mental, physical, social and economical problems in future. There are no reasons to prevent her not to exercise her option voluntarily in her interest.”
"...The petition is allowed with the direction to the SHO of the concerned police station or any other responsible police officer with lady police officer to accompany the complainant `X` and produce her before Medical Superintendent, AIIMS within three days to get her pregnancy terminated where Board of two medical practitioners would be constituted by the Medical Superintendent on that day itself.”
"They shall preserve the foetus and DNA test will be conducted thereupon and its report shall be produced before the trial court at the earliest."
The court also said the girl "be provided proper medicine, diet and nutritious food as may be necessary for her health."
It was said in the plea that the girl was "unable to carry the pregnancy to full term due to social stigma as she is victim of rape”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued