HC asks govt to consider plea against creation of 11 districts
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday asked the city government to revive its panel to consider a lawyers` body plea against creation of 11 judicial districts here as jurisdiction of some areas have been shifted to far off district courts.
A bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice V K Jain asked the Delhi Government to revive its earlier panel, headed by the chief secretary, for redressal of the grievances of Dwarka Court Bar Association (DCBA).
The court then disposed of the PIL filed by DCWA, through its secretary P S Singh, for quashing of the September 11 notification on the ground that the decision was against the policy of "justice at door step."
"The notification has taken out two pre-existing sub-divisions, Vasant Vihar and Delhi Cantt from South West District and merged with New Delhi district... People residing in these areas would now be compelled to approach far off Patiala House courts," the DCWA Secretary had said.
Earlier, the court had asked the government to apprise it of reasons behind carving 11 new districts out of the existing nine and their reshuffling by January 7, 2013.
"The impugned notification is devoid of any logic or reason and has been in total arbitrariness as the impugned notification runs contrary to the respondents own policy of `justice at door step`," senior advocate H S Phoolka, appearing for DCWA, had said.
The lawyers` body, in its plea, had also sought transfer of jurisdiction of those areas/police stations, which are close to Dwarka area, to Dwarka district courts.
"The notification completely overlooked the grave hardship and inconvenience that would be caused to the litigants," the PIL said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Your travel cost to go down by 40% with India's first ever CNG two wheelers
- Lionel Messi announces international retirement after Copa America loss vs Chile
- Big fat royal wedding in Mysore, King Yaduveer Wadiyar ties the knot with Rajasthan royalty
- LeEco Le Max 2: Aiming to outshine rivals with powerful hardware, CDLA technology
- WATCH: How Lionel Messi missed crucial penalty kick in Copa America final against Chile