HC asks police to help in razing illegal mosque
New Delhi: In a jolt to city police, the Delhi High Court on Friday dismissed the plea to modify an earlier order asking it provide help and security to the ASI in razing an illegal mosque built in a park here to ascertain whether remains of Mughal-era Akbarabadi masjid existed there.
Terming the plea as "infructuous" to "large extent", a three-judge bench headed by Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul said "the application is accordingly dismissed."
Police had in its plea sought postponement of the order on grounds including that the holy month of Ramzan was on and moreover, it had to prepare for the Independence Day and the fast of Baba Ramdev in adjacent Ramlila Ground.
It had also sought a direction that instead of police, Shoaib Iqbal, a local MLA who allegedly incited mob to trespass and build the structure, be asked to remove it.
"In our view, it is the bounden duty of the Delhi Police to ensure that peace is maintained and yet law of the land is not breached holding out threats of possible repercussions.
"On examination of the averments in the application, to a large extent the application has become infructuous. This is so as the reasons stated for delay in action no more exist as those events are over," the bench, also comprising Justices Rajiv Shakdher and M L Mehta, said.
While disposing of a plea of North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) seeking a direction to police to provide security in razing the structure, the court said police "will have to make necessary arrangement" for executing the order.
"We have dismissed the application filed by Delhi Police. The sequitur is that Delhi Police will have to make necessary arrangement for NDMC to carry out its task under para 34 (v) of the order dated 30.7.2012 and the statutory mandate be carried out under the supervision of the ASI who is in control of the area," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"