HC asks police to help in razing illegal mosque
New Delhi: In a jolt to city police, the Delhi High Court on Friday dismissed the plea to modify an earlier order asking it provide help and security to the ASI in razing an illegal mosque built in a park here to ascertain whether remains of Mughal-era Akbarabadi masjid existed there.
Terming the plea as "infructuous" to "large extent", a three-judge bench headed by Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul said "the application is accordingly dismissed."
Police had in its plea sought postponement of the order on grounds including that the holy month of Ramzan was on and moreover, it had to prepare for the Independence Day and the fast of Baba Ramdev in adjacent Ramlila Ground.
It had also sought a direction that instead of police, Shoaib Iqbal, a local MLA who allegedly incited mob to trespass and build the structure, be asked to remove it.
"In our view, it is the bounden duty of the Delhi Police to ensure that peace is maintained and yet law of the land is not breached holding out threats of possible repercussions.
"On examination of the averments in the application, to a large extent the application has become infructuous. This is so as the reasons stated for delay in action no more exist as those events are over," the bench, also comprising Justices Rajiv Shakdher and M L Mehta, said.
While disposing of a plea of North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) seeking a direction to police to provide security in razing the structure, the court said police "will have to make necessary arrangement" for executing the order.
"We have dismissed the application filed by Delhi Police. The sequitur is that Delhi Police will have to make necessary arrangement for NDMC to carry out its task under para 34 (v) of the order dated 30.7.2012 and the statutory mandate be carried out under the supervision of the ASI who is in control of the area," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?