HC asks police to help in razing illegal mosque
New Delhi: In a jolt to city police, the Delhi High Court on Friday dismissed the plea to modify an earlier order asking it provide help and security to the ASI in razing an illegal mosque built in a park here to ascertain whether remains of Mughal-era Akbarabadi masjid existed there.
Terming the plea as "infructuous" to "large extent", a three-judge bench headed by Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul said "the application is accordingly dismissed."
Police had in its plea sought postponement of the order on grounds including that the holy month of Ramzan was on and moreover, it had to prepare for the Independence Day and the fast of Baba Ramdev in adjacent Ramlila Ground.
It had also sought a direction that instead of police, Shoaib Iqbal, a local MLA who allegedly incited mob to trespass and build the structure, be asked to remove it.
"In our view, it is the bounden duty of the Delhi Police to ensure that peace is maintained and yet law of the land is not breached holding out threats of possible repercussions.
"On examination of the averments in the application, to a large extent the application has become infructuous. This is so as the reasons stated for delay in action no more exist as those events are over," the bench, also comprising Justices Rajiv Shakdher and M L Mehta, said.
While disposing of a plea of North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) seeking a direction to police to provide security in razing the structure, the court said police "will have to make necessary arrangement" for executing the order.
"We have dismissed the application filed by Delhi Police. The sequitur is that Delhi Police will have to make necessary arrangement for NDMC to carry out its task under para 34 (v) of the order dated 30.7.2012 and the statutory mandate be carried out under the supervision of the ASI who is in control of the area," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27