HC declines to stay Delhi govt notification on gutka ban
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday declined to stay the city government`s notification imposing a blanket ban on manufacture, sale, storage and display of all gutka products under the Food Safety and Standards(FSS) Act.
The court, however, issued notice to the Delhi government, the Centre through the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and also Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and sought their response by December 11 on the plea of a city-based gutka manufacturer challenging the September 11 notification.
"Except issuing notices, we are not inclined to pass any order as the notification (of September 11) was issued (by Delhi government) on the basis of the Centre`s regulations, which is not under challenge," the bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw said while dismissing the stay application filed by Trimuti Fragrances Private Ltd.
In its plea, the gutka manufacturer had said that the city government had issued the notification in terms of Centre`s August 2011 Regulations under the Food Safety and Standards Act.
As per the 2.3.4 of the Regulations, "products (should) not to contain any substance which may be injurious to health; Tobacco and nicotine shall not be used as ingredients in any food product."
Terming the city government`s notification as arbitrary, the petition had said, "The notification is arbitrary and bad in law in as much the same is ultra vires the FSS Act itself which does not confer any power to impose permanent prohibition on any food product."
Appearing for the petitioner, senior advocate AM Singhvi submitted that a central law--Cigarettes and Other tobacco Products Act 2003 (COTPA)--is already there to control tobacco products and any general regulations under the FSS Act could not supersede the special Act.
He also submitted that the food safety law did not empower the city government to issue any such regulation imposing blanket ban on gutka products.
As per the petition, "Parliament by enacting COTPA has already enviced its intent to occupy the whole field with regard to prohibition of advertisement and regulation of trade and commerce, production, supply and distribution of tobacco products.
"The notification is nothing but a colourable exercise of power in as much the government of Delhi has erroneously proceeded to prohibit a defined tobacco product under the regulation framed by SFFAI governing food products," the petition said.
The Delhi government had issued the notification banning gutka products after number of states including Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Kerala, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Bihar announced ban on gutka products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah