HC disposes of plea for probe against team Anna, NGOs
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday disposed of a plea seeking CBI probe against Team Anna members and some NGOs affiliated to them for allegedly receiving funds illegally from foreign organisations.
A bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice V K Jain disposed of the plea after the Centre informed the court that while some of the NGOs affiliated to anti-graft activist Anna Hazare`s team had received foreign funds, which were utilised irregularly, it does not warrant any criminal investigation.
The bench was also not pleased with the fact that the petitioner, advocate M L Sharma, had not appeared before it on the last three hearings of the case, including yesterday.
"It (Sharma`s absence) happened on December 5, 2012 January 16, yesterday and even today also. Status report has been filed by the respondent (Centre), we are disposing of the plea," the bench said.
The Centre, in its affidavit, said that NGOs Navjyoti Indian Foundation and India Vision Foundation, run by Kiran Bedi, and NGO Kabir, run by Manish Sisodia, had received foreign funds but the same was not used for any political activity or India Against Corruption (IAC) movement.
It has also said that "inspections were carried out in August and also in November 2012 under Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) and FCR Rules and some irregularities were found. These irregularities are not serious enough at this stage to warrant a criminal investigation.
"During inspection no documentary proof in the records of the association was found to show the use of the fund in any such political activity or in India Against Corruption (IAC) movement or agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof