HC disposes of plea for probe against team Anna, NGOs
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday disposed of a plea seeking CBI probe against Team Anna members and some NGOs affiliated to them for allegedly receiving funds illegally from foreign organisations.
A bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice V K Jain disposed of the plea after the Centre informed the court that while some of the NGOs affiliated to anti-graft activist Anna Hazare`s team had received foreign funds, which were utilised irregularly, it does not warrant any criminal investigation.
The bench was also not pleased with the fact that the petitioner, advocate M L Sharma, had not appeared before it on the last three hearings of the case, including yesterday.
"It (Sharma`s absence) happened on December 5, 2012 January 16, yesterday and even today also. Status report has been filed by the respondent (Centre), we are disposing of the plea," the bench said.
The Centre, in its affidavit, said that NGOs Navjyoti Indian Foundation and India Vision Foundation, run by Kiran Bedi, and NGO Kabir, run by Manish Sisodia, had received foreign funds but the same was not used for any political activity or India Against Corruption (IAC) movement.
It has also said that "inspections were carried out in August and also in November 2012 under Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) and FCR Rules and some irregularities were found. These irregularities are not serious enough at this stage to warrant a criminal investigation.
"During inspection no documentary proof in the records of the association was found to show the use of the fund in any such political activity or in India Against Corruption (IAC) movement or agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Minor gang-raped in UP's Etah
- Three drowned as car plunges into canal in UP
- After clinching historic silver medal, here's what PV Sindhu was allowed to do by coach Pullela Gopichand
- Welspun India hires Ernst & Young to probe US export lapses
- BIZARRE PUNISHMENT! Kim Jong-Un to make North Korean athletes, who could not win medals in Rio Olympics, work in coal mines?