HC extends stay till Friday on order of FIR against Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday extended till tomorrow its stay on the trial court`s order for registration of FIR against Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for alleged misuse of government funds in 2008 Assembly polls.
Justice Sunil Gaur, who had granted stay on the trial court`s order on September 3 while hearing Delhi government`s plea seeking quashing of trial court`s August 31 order, said he will hear the arguments of the parties tomorrow and added that "till then, the interim order to continue."
A special court had on August 31 directed the Delhi Police to register an FIR against Dikshit on the complaint of Vijender Gupta, senior BJP leader, alleging the Chief Minister had misused government funds to the tune of Rs 22.56 crore in an advertisement campaign ahead of the 2008 Assembly polls.
Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Siddharth Luthra, appearing for Delhi government, contended Gupta, while filing the complaint against Dikshit and seeking registration of an FIR, had relied only on the Lokayukta`s report as otherwise there is no material against her and the officers directly.
"The complainant does not have any other material except the Lokayukta report. Scandalous allegations have been made without any basis...," the senior law officer said.
He argued the trial court order is contrary to the criteria laid down by the Supreme Court on complaint cases.
Further, he said the Lokayukta`s report was rejected by the President, who is the competent authority, and the trial court should have conducted an inquiry itself as an alternative remedy rather than asking the police to register an FIR against the CM.
The senior lawyer contended Gupta had concealed the fact by suppressing all the documents before the court.
After partly hearing the arguments for Delhi government, Justice Gaur deferred the hearing for tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO