HC issues notice to Delhi govt on coloured vegetables, fruits
New Delhi: The High Court on Wednesday issued
notice to the Delhi government seeking its response over
artificially coloured vegetables and fruits in the markets.
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and
Justice Mammohan sought government`s response by September 29
on a PIL seeking directions to the city government to take
appropriate steps for preventing the adulteration of fruits,
vegetables and pulses.
"Comprehensively, it is the duty of the state to look
into such kind of matters. This matter relates to health of
the general public which cannot be marginalised," the bench
Sugriv Dubey, appearing for petitioner Salek Chandra
Jain, submitted that though the rules under the Prevention of
Food Adulteration Act were notified in the year 2000, yet the
adulteration is going on unabated.
The counsel alleged that the traders start polishing
fruits and vegetables with artificial colours to make them
appear fresh after their transportation to the markets here.
"The state is under obligation to prevent the sale of
unhygienic fruits and vegetables besides pulses," Jain pleaded
in his petition.
He said that traders make use of oxytocin in various
agricultural products for giving a fresh and shining look to
attract the consumers.
"Use of such chemicals in eatables causes cancer and
other diseases," the petitioner, said, adding that the
concerned authority failed to take any action despite making
several complaints to it since last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'