HC no to contempt proceedings against DCP
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday refused to initiate contempt of court proceedings against an
IPS officer for making a constable crawl in a court complex
for not saluting him and instead continue talking on his
The court said awarding such punishment is "inhuman" and
directed the city Police Commissioner to issue a direction to
ensure that no officer resorts to punishing their subordinates
in public places and in the manner the particular IPS officer,
Additional DCP Seju P Kuruvila, did.
"We are of the opinion that this case does not come under
any provisions of the Contempt of Court Act. We are not
inclined to initiate criminal contempt of court proceeding
against the officer," the bench said.
Asking the police chief to go through the Punjab Police
Rules, which is applicable to the Delhi Police as well, the
court said awarding such punishment to juniors is not
prescribed in the police rules.
"We are of the opinion that the punishment of such nature
is not prescribed in the Punjab Police Rules. It is inhuman in
nature and awarding punishment to a constable in public in
court premises is inappropriate," the bench said.
Kuruvila had allegedly punished the constable for talking
on his mobile phone while on duty in a trial court premises.
Accepting Kuruvila`s counsel`s argument that it is a
common practice and a minor punishment, the court also rebuked
the constable for talking on mobile phone during duty hours.
"We don`t find much fault in the officer`s act of
awarding such punishment, (which) is a normal practice...It is
expected from a securityman to remain alert and discharge his
duties," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum