HC notice to CBI on ex-NALCO chief`s bail plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought
a response from Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on the
bail plea of former National Aluminium Limited Corp (NALCO)
chairman-cum-managing director A K Srivastava arrested for
allegedly taking bribe from a private firm in return for grant
of lucrative contracts.
Justice G P Mittal issued a notice to CBI and sought its
reply by July 5 on Srivastava`s plea challenging the trial
court`s order dismissing his bail plea.
Earlier this month, the trial court had rejected
Srivastava`s bail plea while accepting CBI argument that the
probe in the case was still on to establish the role of one
Vijay Madni of Hyderabad-based Maheshwari Brothers Ltd who
allegedly paid Rs one crore to Srivastava through co-accused B
L Bajaj, who is absconding.
CBI had said Srivastava should not be granted bail as the
allegations against him are of serious nature and he has to be
confronted with Madni.
Srivastava was arrested on February 25 along with his
wife Chandani, alleged conduit B L Bajaj and his spouse Anita,
after CBI recovered about 10 kg of gold bricks and jewellery
valued at around Rs 2.13 crore as also Rs 30 lakh in cash from
The trial court had on May 18 refused bail to Bajaj while
it had granted bail to three other accused in the case,
including Bhatia group of industry official Ratan Pal Singh,
Chandani and Anita Bajaj saying they are unlikely to flee from
justice and tamper with evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?