HC notice to Centre, Delhi Police on constable Tomar’s death
New Delhi: Delhi High Court on Friday issued notices to the Centre and the Delhi Police in connection with the mysterious death of Constable Subhash Tomar during anti-rape protests at the India Gate.
According to reports, the High Court issued the notice after hearing the petition filed by eight youths, who have been implicated in Tomar’s death.
The petitioners have sought the quashing of the FIR registered against them by Delhi Police in connection with Tomar’s death.
The writ petition claims that a CCTV footage obtained from the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) showed that two of them were at metro stations at the time of the incident, raising a question mark over the functioning of the Delhi Police.
The revelation could prove to be a major embarrassment for the Delhi Police that had pushed for charges against the eight.
Responding to their petition, the High Court has now issued notices to the Centre, the Delhi government and the Delhi Police and sought a status report on the issue.
The High Court is also expected to hear another petition seeking a CBI enquiry into the circumstances that led to the constable’s death.
Seeking a CBI enquiry into the “events and circumstances that led to the death” of the constable, the petition cites contradictions between statements made by the Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar at a press conference, holding injuries suffered during clashes responsible for Tomar’s collapse, and that made by two eyewitnesses, who claim he collapsed on his own and not on being attacked by protestors.
While the blame-game of what happened exactly to constable Tomar has not ended, the post-mortem report confirmed that Tomar died due to cardiac arrest caused by injuries he suffered on his chest and neck.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical