HC notice to Centre, Delhi Police on constable Tomar’s death
New Delhi: Delhi High Court on Friday issued notices to the Centre and the Delhi Police in connection with the mysterious death of Constable Subhash Tomar during anti-rape protests at the India Gate.
According to reports, the High Court issued the notice after hearing the petition filed by eight youths, who have been implicated in Tomar’s death.
The petitioners have sought the quashing of the FIR registered against them by Delhi Police in connection with Tomar’s death.
The writ petition claims that a CCTV footage obtained from the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) showed that two of them were at metro stations at the time of the incident, raising a question mark over the functioning of the Delhi Police.
The revelation could prove to be a major embarrassment for the Delhi Police that had pushed for charges against the eight.
Responding to their petition, the High Court has now issued notices to the Centre, the Delhi government and the Delhi Police and sought a status report on the issue.
The High Court is also expected to hear another petition seeking a CBI enquiry into the circumstances that led to the constable’s death.
Seeking a CBI enquiry into the “events and circumstances that led to the death” of the constable, the petition cites contradictions between statements made by the Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar at a press conference, holding injuries suffered during clashes responsible for Tomar’s collapse, and that made by two eyewitnesses, who claim he collapsed on his own and not on being attacked by protestors.
While the blame-game of what happened exactly to constable Tomar has not ended, the post-mortem report confirmed that Tomar died due to cardiac arrest caused by injuries he suffered on his chest and neck.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says