HC notice to Centre, GNCT on Nirmal Baba
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court today sought the government`s reply on a plea for prosecution of self-proclaimed godman Nirmal Baba for allegedly duping people in garb of providing false magical treatment to them.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw issued notice to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs and the Delhi Government and sought their replies on a social worker A K Jain`s plea for prosecution.
While issuing notices, the court also asked the petitioner to make Nirmaljeet Singh Narula alias or Nirmal Baba too a party to his petition.
In his petition filed through counsel Sugriv Dubey, Jain sought the court`s order for registration of an FIR against Baba under the Drug and Magic Remedies Objectionable Advertisement (DMROA) Act.
Jain said Baba, in his advertisements both on electronic and print media, falsely claims himself as representatives of God and asks people to deposit money in his account for fulfillment of their wishes and getting cured from any disease through his magical treatment.
Petitioner`s counsel contended that Baba`s act is contrary to the DMROA Act and the Centre and the Delhi government are under obligation to discharge their duties by stopping such advertisements.
Seeking an order for lodging of an FIR against Baba, the petitioner said "the amount received in different accounts by Baba be ordered to be confiscated as the same money has been earned by playing fraud and mischief to the common man."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you