HC notice to Centre on declaring Jamia varsity minority institution
New Delhi: The grant of minority status to
Jamia Millia Islamia University by the National Commission for
Minority Educational Institutions (NCMEI) on Wednesday came under the
scanner of the Delhi High Court which has sought responses
from the Centre and others on a PIL.
"Issue notice to Human Resources Development Ministry,
the Ministry of Minority Affairs .... for February 22, a bench
of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna said.
The High Court today admitted for hearing a public
interest litigation (PIL) of Vijay Kumar Sharma, president of
NGO `Yuva Bharti Samiti`, alleging that "the Jamia Millia
Islamia Act, 1988, incorporates and establishes the university
and dissolves the Jamia Millia Islamia Society, which was
managing and running it, and the NCMEI has no jurisdiction or
authority to declare it a minority institution."
Besides the ministries concerned, the court has also
sought responses from the Vice Chancellor of the University,
the teachers` association and five others including the
The NCMEI headed by Justice M S A Siddiqui had recently
granted "minority" status to the University which will enable
it to reserve up to 50 per cent seats for Muslim students.
The Varsity will no longer have to give reservation to SC
and ST students also, the panel, a quasi-judicial body, had
said while allowing the petitions of students union, Jamia Old
Boys Association and Jamia Teachers Association. The petitions
were filed in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA