HC notice to cops on Thackeray`s plea for quashing complaints
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday sought the response of Delhi Police on MNS chief Raj Thackeray`s plea for quashing three private complaints and subsequent proceedings initiated against him for his alleged anti-Bihari remarks in 2008.
Justice Sunil Gaur issued notices to the three private complainants, including a lawyer, who hail from Champaran in Bihar and Ranchi and Jamtara in Jharkhand and sought their response by April 16.
Thackeray, who has been facing trial following several private complaints at various places including in Bihar and Jharkhand for his alleged hate remarks, has moved the high court questioning the jurisdiction of the trial courts in Bihar to take cognisance of the private complaints against him.
He has alleged in his plea that the courts in Bihar and Jharkhand had no jurisdiction to take cognisance as he lives in Mumbai.
Appearing for Thackeray, senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi submitted that complaints have been lodged in different places in Bihar and Jharkhand under various sections of IPC against his client who stays in Mumbai.
Rohatgi argued that the courts had not followed procedure and had taken cognisance "which is bad in law."
"Initiation of proceedings and their continuation infringes the fundamental rights of my client," the counsel said.
In his plea, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief said, "Proceedings have been initiated to harass, humiliate and intimidate me. Filing of complaints is politically motivated."
He sought that the court to pass an order "to frame necessary guidelines with regard to filing of complaints, taking cognisance of offences in cases where the accused stays outside the jurisdiction of trial court, so that frivolous petitions cannot be entertained."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi