HC notice to cops on Thackeray`s plea for quashing complaints
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday sought the response of Delhi Police on MNS chief Raj Thackeray`s plea for quashing three private complaints and subsequent proceedings initiated against him for his alleged anti-Bihari remarks in 2008.
Justice Sunil Gaur issued notices to the three private complainants, including a lawyer, who hail from Champaran in Bihar and Ranchi and Jamtara in Jharkhand and sought their response by April 16.
Thackeray, who has been facing trial following several private complaints at various places including in Bihar and Jharkhand for his alleged hate remarks, has moved the high court questioning the jurisdiction of the trial courts in Bihar to take cognisance of the private complaints against him.
He has alleged in his plea that the courts in Bihar and Jharkhand had no jurisdiction to take cognisance as he lives in Mumbai.
Appearing for Thackeray, senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi submitted that complaints have been lodged in different places in Bihar and Jharkhand under various sections of IPC against his client who stays in Mumbai.
Rohatgi argued that the courts had not followed procedure and had taken cognisance "which is bad in law."
"Initiation of proceedings and their continuation infringes the fundamental rights of my client," the counsel said.
In his plea, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief said, "Proceedings have been initiated to harass, humiliate and intimidate me. Filing of complaints is politically motivated."
He sought that the court to pass an order "to frame necessary guidelines with regard to filing of complaints, taking cognisance of offences in cases where the accused stays outside the jurisdiction of trial court, so that frivolous petitions cannot be entertained."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon