HC notice to Delhi govt, discom on PIL over faulty power bills
New Delhi: The city government was on Wednesday asked by the Delhi High Court to respond to a plea for damages to consumers from the government and power distribution firm BSES Yamuna for allegedly raising "wrong" electricity bills.
Issuing notice to the city government, the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, BSES Yamuna Power Ltd and the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission, a bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw sought their replies by January 23, 2013.
The court issued the notice on a petition filed by social activist Sri Chand Jain who also sought directions to the Delhi government for issuance of guidelines to determine power tariff through bidding process.
"Issue directions to respondents to issue guidelines under section 63 of the Electricity Act for determination of tariff by bidding process in the interest of justice," said the petition filed through counsel Sugriv Dubey.
The petitioner further sought an order to the government and the discom to "stop the recovery of incorrect bills issued to the consumers."
It was alleged in the petition that BSES Yamuna is issuing incorrect bills and people are compelled to deposit inflated amounts failing which the power is disconnected.
The meters installed by the company are very fast and are giving unreasonable and incorrect readings, the plea said adding the company issues bills "without verifying the defective meters" and also "without replacing the fast meters."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof