HC notice to Delhi govt, discom on PIL over faulty power bills
New Delhi: The city government was on Wednesday asked by the Delhi High Court to respond to a plea for damages to consumers from the government and power distribution firm BSES Yamuna for allegedly raising "wrong" electricity bills.
Issuing notice to the city government, the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, BSES Yamuna Power Ltd and the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission, a bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw sought their replies by January 23, 2013.
The court issued the notice on a petition filed by social activist Sri Chand Jain who also sought directions to the Delhi government for issuance of guidelines to determine power tariff through bidding process.
"Issue directions to respondents to issue guidelines under section 63 of the Electricity Act for determination of tariff by bidding process in the interest of justice," said the petition filed through counsel Sugriv Dubey.
The petitioner further sought an order to the government and the discom to "stop the recovery of incorrect bills issued to the consumers."
It was alleged in the petition that BSES Yamuna is issuing incorrect bills and people are compelled to deposit inflated amounts failing which the power is disconnected.
The meters installed by the company are very fast and are giving unreasonable and incorrect readings, the plea said adding the company issues bills "without verifying the defective meters" and also "without replacing the fast meters."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'