HC pulls up Delhi authorities on waterlogging
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday asked the city government and the civic agencies to clean the storm water drains on a war footing within a week so that there is no water logging during monsoon.
The bench of acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru passed the order following an assurance from Urban Development and PWD departments of Delhi government, NDMC, three MCDs, Delhi Jal Board (DJB) on a PIL seeking de-silting of drains in the city.
"The counsel for.... Assured this court that storm water drains would cleaned within one week. This would be taken up by the agencies on a war footing. This will be tested out when next major rainfall hits Delhi.
"If there will be any waterlogging, the concerned Commissioner shall file an explanation in two weeks as to why there was waterlogging", the bench said in an order.
The court also pulled up the authorities for their failure to prevent waterlogging in the city despite the court`s directions.
"We see the same thing happening here. Each year, we come across the same waterlogging problem..." The bench said adding "there was water in the drawing rooms of some judges. If it happens in VIP areas, then other areas would be terrible.
The court also expressed its anguish over the government`s placing "incorrect" photographs before and after de-silting process.
"Photographs of before and after de-silting of drains are actually the same picture rotated 180 degree. This is mockery of court," the bench said and sought "proper" photographs by next date of hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Attention TV lovers, we have a good news for 'Sarabhai vs Sarabhai' fans! - Read more
- News Television Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags best news channel website honour
- Say Whaaat! Winners of Sunny Leone, Rannvijay Singha's 'Splitsvilla 9' already decided?
- Google-backed transpacific submarine cable between US and Japan goes live today!
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments