HC quashes dowry harassment case against NRI
New Delhi: Allowing settlement of a dowry
harassment case on payment of over Rs 10 lakh to the wife by
her divorced non-resident Indian (NRI) husband, the Delhi High
Court has quashed the FIR against the man.
The court quashed the FIR on a petition by the woman`s
Australia-based divorced husband and his family members.
The court passed the orders after woman`s counsel also
urged the court to quash it, saying she has settled all the
issues connected with the case and did not wish to pursue it.
"She has no objection if the FIR is quashed," he said.
The counsel also told the court that the marriage between
the man and woman has already been dissolved by a decree of
divorce in October 2011 by a lower court in Delhi.
The couple had reached the settlement before filing of the
chargesheet in the case by the Nanak Pura police here in the
matter, the counsel said.
"The matter has amicably been settled between them for a
total sum of Rs 10.60 lakh, to be paid by the man to his
wife," he said adding as per the settlement, she has also
withdrawn all her complaints filed with the Australian High
Commission and other authorities.
The local police had registered the case in 2009 on a
complaint by the woman against her husband and his family
members under Sections 498A (a woman`s husband or his relative
subjecting her to cruelty) and 406 (criminal breach of trust)
of the Indian Penal Code.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16