HC refuses to stay LG order on Delhi nursery admission guidelines
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a setback to private schools in Delhi, the High Court on Friday rejected a plea seeking stay on fresh nursery admission guidelines issued by the Lieutenant Governor.
Acting on a plea by the Action Committee for Unaided Recognized Private Schools, which sought setting aside of the 2014-15 guidelines on the ground that the office of the LG lacked the power to frame them, the court has sought city govt`s reply on the matter.
In its plea, the Action Committee had claimed the guidelines were against the principle of autonomy and the recognized unaided private schools were given the power by the Central government to formulate their own admission criteria for 75 percent seats.
Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung, on 18 December, issued new guidelines for the nursery admissions for the session 2014-15 and took various steps such as scrapping of 20 per cent management quota.
The neighborhood criteria, which seeks schools to give preference to children living within the radius of 6 kilometer from school, has been given maximum weightage with 70 points out of 100 in the open category seats. Later, the LG enhanced the criteria to eight kilometre.
The LG, however, had refused to the decision to scrap the management quota.
Besides these, the applicants who have sibling studying in the same school will get 20 points and five points will be added by default in the application of girls and wards of school alumni.
The guidelines also seek the minority schools to have 25 per cent seats reserved, like other schools, for the economically weaker sections and disadvantaged groups of the society.
The DoE or the Delhi government or the LG does not have the power to fix criteria of admission in unaided private schools, the petition said.
The admission process for nursery classes will start from 15 January and the last date for submission of applications is fixed on January 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- In Haryana's Mewat, half a dozen men kill couple, gang-rape two relatives
- Indian tablet market grew 14.4% in Q2 2016; Datawind continues domination
- From waiter to an Olympian in Rio: This is India's unsung hero Manish Rawat's story – HATS OFF!
- Do you know how harmful leading a sedentary lifestyle is? - Read
- HILARIOUS! Indian Twitter roasts Sanjay Manjrekar for siding with Piers Morgan