HC refuses to stay proceedings in defamation case lodged by CM
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday refused to stay the trial court proceedings against city BJP president Vijender Gupta in a criminal defamation case lodged against him by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for allegedly using "uncivilised language" prior to MCD polls here.
"I cannot stay the (trial court) proceedings," Justice P K Bhasin said and asked the magisterial court to deal with the issue of physical presence of the chief minister and Gupta before it in "accordance with the law".
"Please stay the proceedings in the trial court till August 31, the next date of hearing as we have challenged the summoning order of the lower court," pleaded senior advocate Sanjay Jain, appearing for the Delhi BJP chief.
"The metropolitan magistrate is completely appearing to be overwhelmed by the stature of complainant Sheila Dikshit, who happens to be the chief minister," the lawyer said, adding that the absence of Dikshit before the lower court has not been dealt with as per the law.
During the hearing, Justice Bhasin asked the counsel for the chief minister if she would be appearing in the court on the next date of hearing.
"She would definitely be appearing... However, the issue of her appearance would depend on her prior and emergent commitments on that day," he said.
The counsel for the BJP leader then said his client was being harassed for being a political rival of the complainant as she herself does not appear in the court and, moreover, no case was made out against Gupta.
Gupta had moved the high court earlier seeking quashing of summons issued against him on Dikshit`s allegation that he had used "uncivilised language" to defame her before the MCD polls held on April 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'