HC rejects anti-rape protestors` pleas
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday dismissed two separate petitions seeking quashing of the FIR and transfer of probe from city police to CBI in the case lodged for various offences, including rioting and death of constable Subhash Tomar during anti-rape protests here.
Turning down the plea of seven out of eight protestors who were booked under various sections of Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act, Justice G P Mittal said, "The FIR, at this stage, cannot be quashed and no further directions are needed in the writ petition...The same is accordingly dismissed."
Justice Mittal in his order took on record the submission of the Additional Solicitor General (ASG) that the eight accused will not be charged under section 302 of IPC for murder of the constable but they will face the charges of destruction of public property.
The court also dismissed another plea of Gaurav Bansal, a lawyer, for transfer of the investigation to CBI.
"No material has been placed on record by the petitioner which would compel the court to transfer the investigation from Crime Branch to CBI," the court said.
During the earlier hearings in the case, ASG had showed to the judge the video footage of "violent" protests at India Gate on December 23, last year following the brutal rape of a 23-year-old on December 16 and said the plea for quashing of FIR was "premature" as "49 policemen and 69 others (protesters) were injured in the incident, properties were destroyed and the accused cannot decide the course of the probe".
The Delhi Police had said no evidence had been found against the eight youths with regard to their involvement in the death of constable Tomar.
Tomar, who died on December 25 at RML Hospital, was posted at Karawal Nagar police station here and was called to help the police in maintaining law and order at India Gate during protests on December 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre