HC rejects PIL against appointment of Delhi Police Commissioner
New Delhi: Accepting the Home Ministry`s order giving clean chit to city Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, the Delhi High Court on Friday rejected a PIL challenging his appointment to the post.
A bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Jayant Nath rejected the PIL filed by M S Devasayam, a retired IAS officer from Chennai challenging Kumar`s appointment as Delhi Police Commissioner on the ground that he has been facing charges of power misuse and rights violations.
While rejecting the PIL, the court referred to the submissions made by Additional Solicitor General Rajeeve Mehra, who had earlier said that the government had accepted recommendations of Lieutenant Governor (LG) that Kumar`s ACR records in his entire career were outstanding.
"ASG has handed over the order of May 28, 2013 passed by the Home Ministry. The order is a speaking order rejecting the contentions of the petitioner. It is pointed out that as per the rules, the LG had sent a panel of three names in the order of preference for selection as Commissioner of Police, Delhi.
"The ACR records of Neeraj Kumar in his entire career are outstanding and therefore, the recommendations of LG was accepted. He was also the seniormost officer," the bench said in its judgement.
The court also said that the petitioner in his submission had argued that there has been "no valid and proper inquiry" for Kumar`s selection and added that "the inquiry report is not the subject of writ petition."
"In view of the MHA`s May 28 order we see no reason to pass any order in the present petition and same is dismissed," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued