HC rejects PIL against appointment of Delhi Police Commissioner
New Delhi: Accepting the Home Ministry`s order giving clean chit to city Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, the Delhi High Court on Friday rejected a PIL challenging his appointment to the post.
A bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Jayant Nath rejected the PIL filed by M S Devasayam, a retired IAS officer from Chennai challenging Kumar`s appointment as Delhi Police Commissioner on the ground that he has been facing charges of power misuse and rights violations.
While rejecting the PIL, the court referred to the submissions made by Additional Solicitor General Rajeeve Mehra, who had earlier said that the government had accepted recommendations of Lieutenant Governor (LG) that Kumar`s ACR records in his entire career were outstanding.
"ASG has handed over the order of May 28, 2013 passed by the Home Ministry. The order is a speaking order rejecting the contentions of the petitioner. It is pointed out that as per the rules, the LG had sent a panel of three names in the order of preference for selection as Commissioner of Police, Delhi.
"The ACR records of Neeraj Kumar in his entire career are outstanding and therefore, the recommendations of LG was accepted. He was also the seniormost officer," the bench said in its judgement.
The court also said that the petitioner in his submission had argued that there has been "no valid and proper inquiry" for Kumar`s selection and added that "the inquiry report is not the subject of writ petition."
"In view of the MHA`s May 28 order we see no reason to pass any order in the present petition and same is dismissed," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling