HC reserves order on PIL against Police Commissioner
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday reserved its verdict on a PIL challenging the appointment of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar on the ground that he has been facing charges of power misuse and rights violations.
A division bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Jayant Nath fixed May 31 for pronouncement of judgement on a PIL filed by M S Devasayam, a retired IAS officer from Chennai who had sought to quash the appointment of Kumar as Police Commissioner.
The court also accepted a report filed by the Home Ministry rejecting the petitioner`s representation which alleged "the police officer is facing serious allegations of misuse and abuse of powers, fabrication of documents and violation of human rights."
Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Rajeeve Mehra, appearing for the ministry, told the bench that the petitioner`s representation has been received and was rejected by it.
The ASG submitted before the court that as per the ministry`s order, the allegations against the Commissioner have not been substantiated with evidence.
Rejecting all the allegations, the Centre said "There has been no lawlessness during the tenure of Neeraj Kumar. In fact, the comparative figures of crime under major heads like dacoity, murder, kidnapping etc. During his tenure as CP, Delhi, are lower than the corresponding period of last year."
Earlier on February 27, the court had asked the former IAS officer, who had approached it, to make a representation before the Home Ministry and directed the ministry to decide on it.
Kumar, a 1976-batch Indian Police Service officer, was appointed as Police Commissioner of the city on June 28 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview