HC restrains Sony from showing programme on Chautala`s plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday restrained an entertainment channel from telecasting a programme based on teachers recruitment scam in which former Haryana Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala and 54 others have been convicted, following a plea by the INLD leader.
Senior Advocate Rajiv Nayyar, appearing for former chief minister, had contended that telecast of the programme could adversely impact the appeal against the trial court verdict.
Justice ML Mehta directed Sony TV not to broadcast the episode on the Junior Basic Trained (JBT) teachers recruitment scam in its popular show "Crime Patrol". The episode was scheduled to be aired tomorrow.
The court passed the interim order on the plea of Chautala, his then Officer on Special Duty Vidya Dhar and Political Advisor Sher Singh Badshami.
Their counsel said that the court has asked the channel to postpone the telecast of the programme, pending petition seeking suspension of their sentence.
The petition on suspension of their sentence is to be decided by another bench.
Chautala`s counsel said he has sought suspension of his 10-year imprisonment and till it is decided, the programme should be deferred for the telecast.
Senior advocate Dushyant Dave, appearing for the channel, opposed the plea of the convicts. Chautala, his son Ajay Chautala and 53 others were held guilty of illegally recruiting 3,206 JBT teachers in the state in 2000.
Chautala and his son along with two IAS officers Sanjiv Kumar and Vidya Dhar, Badshami and five others were sentenced to 10 years jail term.
Others were sentenced to imprisonment for four to five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?