HC ruling on Delhi govt notification on fees hike
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court is likely to
pronounce its verdict on the validity of a Delhi government notification of 2009 allowing 25 private schools to hike their tuition fee.
A PIL had alleged that despite CAG`s indictment of 25
private schools for accounting malpractices including faking
losses, the city government has allowed them to hike tuition
A division bench of Justices A K Sikri and Siddharth
Mridul reserved the order on May 13 after counsel for the
petitioner, the city government and the counsel for private
schools completed their arguments.
Earlier, the bench had sought the report of the
Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) while hearing the PIL of `Delhi Abhibhavak Mahasangh` filed through Ashok Aggarwal challenging the city government`s decision to allow schools to hike tuition and development fees.
The Delhi government notification, which was issued on
February 12, 2009, said any school, which was charging a
monthly fee of Rs 500, will be allowed to hike Rs 100.
Likewise, any school charging a monthly fee of Rs 1,000 will
be allowed to effect a maximum hike of Rs 200.
Schools with a monthly fee of Rs 1,500 can hike by Rs 300
and those having a fee structure ranging from above Rs 1,500
to Rs 2000 will be able to hike by not more than Rs 400.
For the rest with monthly fees of more than Rs 2,000, they will be allowed to hike by7 only Rs 500, as per the
The Delhi cabinet had approved the hike ranging from a
minimum of Rs 100 to a maximum of Rs 500 in the schools to
ease their financial burden due to hike in teachers’ salaries
as per Sixth Pay Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31